A MEMORY AID FROM THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
|The following is meant as a memory aid for someone who is preparing for Confession. It draws on the
Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17) but is not literal rendition of them.
1. I am the Lord your God, you shall have no
other gods beside me.
- Do I worship God in spirit and truth and give
God the praise due him?
- Am I angry with God or resentful toward him because of
illness or other misfortunes?
- Do I make a god out of my work, my possessions, my money or
my image in the eyes of others so that these rule my life instead
- Have I tried to grow in the knowledge of God through daily
prayer and scripture reading?
- Have I dabbled in the occult or given credibility to
horoscopes, ouija boards,channelling, tarot cards, or fortune
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your
God in vain.
- Have I been hypocritical by adhering to a
ritualistic observance while my heart has been far from God?
- Have I resorted to profane language by cursing and swearing?
- In conversation, have I passively allowed slander and jokes
aimed at demeaning religion, the Church or God's authority?
3. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it
- Have I allowed myself to become so dominated by my work
or chores that I have not set aside Sunday for spiritual and
- Have I attended Mass every Sunday?
- In my prayer and attendance at the liturgy, am I content with
a passive observance rather than devoting myself to genuine
worship of the Lord?
4. Honor your father and your mother.
- As a young person in the family home, do I listen to,
respect, and obey my parents when they instruct me?
- As an adult, do I visit and care for my parents in their old
- Do I harbor short-term or long-standing resentments toward my
- Do I blame my parents for my own shortcomings?
5. You shall not kill.
- Have I ever struck anyone in anger, intending to injure
- Have I ever had an abortion, or advocated abortion, either
through my opinions in conversation or by actively assisting
someone in procuring one?
- Have I ever endangered myself or the life of another person
through the taking of drugs, abuse of alcohol or the reckless use
of an automobile?
6. You shall not commit adultery.
- Have I engaged in sexual activity outside of marriage.?
- Have I been involved in a homosexual relationship?
- Have I given my mind over to lustful thoughts or fantasies?
- Have I read pornography or watched indecent movies or
- In conversation, have I told or enjoyed lewd or obscene jokes
7. You shall not steal.
- Have I taken anything that did not belong to me?
- Have I been dishonest in the payment of my taxes or in the
submission of expense accounts in my business?
- Have I wasted time and cheated my employer by not doing a
full day's work for my wages?
- Have I been extravagant in my manner of life, to the neglect
of the poor at home and abroad?
- Have I been irresponsible and neglected the needs of my
family by wasting money on gambling or betting?
8. You shall not bear false witness against your
- Have I defamed the good name of another person by taking
part in gossip or slander?
- Have I injured the reputation of other by speaking about
their failures and sins with
- little desire or intention to help them?
- Have I condoned prejudice and hatred toward people of other
nationalities, races or religions?
9. You shall not covet your neighbors wife.
- Have I sought the affections of another's spouse
- Have I contemplated infidelity to my spouse?
- Have I upheld the dignity of my spouse in all circumstances?
- Have I rejected my family in my heart, wishing to distance
myself emotionally and personally from them?
10. You shall not covet your neighbors goods.
- Do I have and express concern for those who are suffering
by giving generously to the poor or by serving those in need?
- Do I habitually compare myself with others in terms of
wealth, status, and financial security?
- Am I jealous of the personal qualities of others or envious
of their possessions or success?
- Do I keep my finances in order and exercise proper
stewardship over what is mine?
- Do I support my Church sufficiently?
Source: "The Word Among Us,"
Box 6003, Gaithersburg, MD,
"A Daily Approach to Prayer and Scripture"